Imagine Low Carb Chocolate Donuts!
Well here they are! Yum! I decided to give my old Glazed Raised Donuts a go, completely low carb! Who would have thought they’d come out so good. Ya, so they look like long hard turds, but taste so good!
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast or 2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
- 3/8 cup scalded cream (I did 2 parts heavy whipping cream, 1 part water. 2/8th’s cream 1/8th water)
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 c swerve sweetener
- 20 drops liquid sweetener (sucralose 0 carb)
- 1 tbsp resistant wheat starch
- 4 tbsp wheat protein isolate
- 1 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp morningpep cocoa powder
- Put warm water, yeast and salt in a dish and let that sit for about 5 minutes. (if you’re not afraid to use a tsp of sugar to help the yeast go poof feel free, I did) Let that sit while you prep other stuff.
- Place cream and water in a coffee cup or microwave safe dish and scald it.
- Add butter to scalded milk and let it melt down.
- Meanwhile place the vital wheat gluten, wheat protein isolate, resistant wheat starch and almond flour into a bowl and whisk it together so it’s well mixed.
- Place powder sweetener in the mixer bowl and put the liquid sweetener in the cream and butter mixture.
- Once the butter is melted, pour the cream and butter over the sweetener in the mixer bowl and mix with paddle attachment well.
- Add yeast, eggs and about 1/4 of the dry mixture all together and mix until smooth.
- Add the cocoa powder to the dry ingredients.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and switch to the dough hook on the mixer and mix until a dough forms.
- Place the dough on a lightly coconut floured board and knead a few minutes (like 2 or 3 minutes it will be stretchy)
- Place the dough into a buttered bowl in the oven (Do not turn oven on) with a pan of boiled, hot water to help the dough rise and soften, about 40 minutes. It didn’t double in size or nothing like when you use flour.
- Place dough on board and I cut it in four pieces and worked on them one at a time. I cut them into little pieces and rolled the dough into sticks.
- Deep fry in your choice of oil. I used coconut oil.
This made a whole hell of a lot of donuts! Probably about 40 or so!
What is my white sauce? It’s a little cream cheese, heavy cream and liquid sucralose to dip in. Yum! That shit was good!